Megawatt Community Energy Fund – Large and Small Grants
This grant programme is currently closed to applications.
- Opening Date:
- 1st August 2017 , 11:00 am
- Closing Date:
- 26th September 2017 , 11:00 am
- Maximum grant awarded:
- Small Grant: Up to £2,000. Large Grant: Up to £10,000.
The Megawatt Community Energy Fund has been set-up to use profit from Bristol Energy Cooperative’s business activity to encourage and support more community action on reducing the amount of carbon in our atmosphere, and/or making energy more affordable, e.g. through focused fuel poverty initiatives. Bristol Energy Cooperative is working with Quartet Community Foundation to administer this Fund.
What can you apply for?
Climate change is caused by greenhouse gases, such as carbon dioxide. Burning fossil fuels, such as oil, coal and gas, puts carbon dioxide into the atmosphere and is a major cause of climate change. We burn fossil fuels to generate energy, this includes electricity at home and at work, heating water and buildings and powering our transport system (eg cars, planes and ships). Other causes of climate change include cutting down and burning forests (as trees absorb carbon and release it when cut down or burned) and raising livestock.
To slow and eventually reverse climate change, we need to switch to renewable energy sources, be more efficient in our energy and resource use, and find ways of taking greenhouse gases out of our atmosphere. It is important to ensure everyone can access and afford the energy they need, and finding the solutions to climate change is also an opportunity to make our energy systems more local and fairer.
Climate change is happening now, solutions are available now, and we all can make a difference now, which is why the Fund is supporting projects that aim to:
- Raise awareness of climate change, its solutions and how to reduce its impact (mitigation)
- Reduce fossil fuel consumption of individuals, organisations and communities either directly through energy measures, or indirectly through the more efficient use of resources. Projects do not have to be energy projects but must have clear aims to reduce carbon in the atmosphere.
- Reduce fuel poverty, to ensure everyone can access and afford the energy they need.
- Develop social, arts, cultural or sports activity that encourages or celebrates sustainability.
The grant programme can support all costs relating to the project or activity, including: a contribution to core costs (e.g. core staff costs, office costs), project costs (e.g. venue hire, project worker) and capital costs.
The Megawatt Community Energy Fund encourages applications for the funding of innovative ideas, including pilot projects, as well as for the development and growth of existing projects. To support smaller organisations, applications of up to £2,000 (Small Grants) are particularly encouraged.
Who can apply?
The Megawatt Community Energy Fund is open to groups or projects working in South Gloucestershire, Bristol, North Somerset, and Sedgemoor District (Somerset). It is particularly targeted at small organisations with charitable aims. You do not have to be an energy or environmental group.
Please download and read the guidelines below before applying for a grant.