Nationwide Building Society Community Grants
This grant programme is currently closed to applications.
- Opening Date:
- 29th October 2018
- Closing Date:
- 7th December 2018
About the Nationwide Building Society Community Grants programme
The Nationwide Community Grants programme awards up to £500,000 across eight UK regions annually and is looking for local housing projects that will strengthen your local community by supporting the most vulnerable, finding new approaches to increasing the supply of housing or by reinventing renting for both tenants and landlords.
Charities, Community Land Trusts and housing co-operatives can apply for grants of between £10,000 and £50,000 to make a change in your local area. The applications will be reviewed and voted on by a regional Community Board, made up of Nationwide members, colleagues and local housing charities.
Who can apply
This fund is open to registered UK charities, Community Land Trusts and housing co-operatives.
Partnership and consortia are encouraged to apply. There will be a lead partner that submits the bid and will manage the funds if successful. Lead partners must be an eligible entity but can partner with: statutory organisations, housing associations, companies limited by guarantee with charitable objectives, community interest companies, constituted community or voluntary sector groups. Partnerships should be established before applying.
What you can apply for:
- Core costs – budget for running and facility costs, office equipment, supplies, any travel and accommodation, printing etc.
- Staff costs for the lead partner – budget for staffing, including full-time staff, part-time staff, project delivery staff costs and other related expenses, e.g. translation.
- All staff costs must be paid at least the Real Living Wage determined by the Living Wage Foundation. Further information can be found here
- Development and capacity building costs – budget to help build capacity and sustainability of organisation e.g. staff/volunteer training, external consultancy fees
- Volunteer costs – budget for reimbursements of expenses, e.g. telephone calls, travel and meals.
Activity costs – budget for resources to facilitate a project/activity that fall outside capital, volunteer or staffing costs, e.g. catering, insurance
- Small-scale capital costs – budget for small-scale set up costs including one-off expenses for equipment or fixed assets that may have use or benefit beyond the life of the grant/one financial year, such as computer hardware. This can also include perishable capital, which are items that are required for the delivery of a project, such as paint, paintbrushes and gardening equipment
- Building works and refurbishment costs will be considered where they are essential to the successful delivery of the project.
Before you submit your application you may find it useful to take a look at some of the projects previously funded by the Nationwide Community Grants programme, you’ll find a summary of these here. Further information on what makes a good application can be found here. Further information on who can apply, and what for, can be found in the FAQs document here.
How to apply
Wiltshire Community Foundation are coordinating this grants programme on behalf of the South West. To apply online, please visit their website here
Further support for applicants
Wiltshire Community Foundation will be holding two phone-in surgeries for applicants. This will provide advice on a proposed application. Applicants can call the Wiltshire Community Foundation Grants Team on 01380 729284 for a phone-in advice surgery on:
- 13 November 9:30 to 12:30
- 22 November 9:30 to 12:30
Please download and read the guidelines below before applying for a grant.